Thursday, January 24, 2013

Marvey LePen Marker Pen - Green, Teal, Blue and Purple

We all know that after-meal walks burn calories, when you live within walking distance from Michael's, you will find out that the trips also work great at burning out your wallet... 
Occupying only a small shelf from the pen section of Micheal's, Marvy Le Pen marker pens first caught my eyes with their rainbow of bright colors and the slim-and-sleek design. As soon as I saw their place of origin (I mean, Japanese pens seldom go wrong for me), I knew they are the perfect items to use my coupons on. After several trips (thanks their one coupon use per day policy) and some online digging (because not all shades were available in store), I ended up with 6 of them that are on the medium-cool end of the spectrum. 
Olive Green - Brownish green that's a little lighter and greener than army green.
Green - Green with a blue lean, like a deeper shade of emerald
Teal - Seem like half-and-half blue green to me. A true teal maybe?
Sky Blue - Bright blue turquoise that looks just like Lamy Turquoise
Oriental Blue - Navy teal that reminds me of cloisonne beads (oriental indeed)
Amethyst Purple- Medium purple that has more of a blue lean. 

All six shades write with medium-high intensity and just-enough (not highlighter) brightness, which means they are not only good as accent colors, they also make good note-taking/journal writer. However, given Le Pen's slim size and lighter weight, it gets tiring after longer period of use. I understand that the built and the somewhat-loose silver clip (echoing with the silver name etched on the barrel) are part of its appeal so I don't hold them against the pen.
Back to the pen parts: These are are porous points with an OK-fine (around 0.5mm, which is just "normal" width of a pen to me) tips and whole plastic body that cannot be taken apart. The pens glide on the paper smoothly (so far) but I reckon someday they will dry out and/or break, due to the nature of the softer tips.

 They plastic are somewhat light weight and quite scratch-prone that not only they don't stay shiny/new-looking for long, there is already some chipping near the tips. I will deal with that part because it just means that the inside and outside of this non-refillable pen will break down around the same time (which is actually a good thing).
 Drawing sample with the Marvy Le Pen. Please note that I didn't come up with the pattern myself...It was circulated on Weibo (Chinese twitter)  but It could be from Japan...

Overall: Great price (it was $1.16 at Michael's after 40% off coupon and $1.15 at Jetpens), so-far-so-good reliable writer (they are dye based so I guess there is some water resistance?), wonderful little things to toss into bag.

3 comments:

  1. I love the combination of colours that you chose. They look so good together!

    I had one of these pens a while ago, and, while I did like it and enjoyed using it, I remember that it didn't seem to last as long as other similar pens. Not really surprising though, since there is probably just not as much ink in its small barrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review. I've never tried the LePens, but I'm always attracted to them in the craft stores. Love those colors -- anything remotely turquoise always catches my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ I don't use them as daily writer so I guess it's OK they don't last as long. I will be hunting for inks in similar colors (also got the turquoise one down) once I finish them up.

    @JLS Hall
    I think Michael's might have discontinued them...now I just see those white tubes with color lid (They have shape similar to the LePen, I think it's Michael's store brand?) colored lid. They are also made in Japan but the Marvy appeal is long gone...

    ReplyDelete